About the team
The idea of a shared conversation layer over the world’s knowledge is part of the original idea behind the Web. In the last few years, through a combination of standards, open software and early implementations, this old idea has moved from audacious vision to reality.
We believe the impact of this pervasive conversation layer can be as profound as the Web was itself: more rapid access to knowledge as it evolves, more fluid collaboration between individuals, a freeing of information from proprietary systems and formats, and more transparent deliberation around issues of profound social importance.
Hypothesis is seeking pragmatic dreamers who care about community, access, and usability to help a well-funded non-profit initiative deliver on the long held dream of an annotated Web.
The company is based in San Francisco but we also work from Berlin, London, Edinburgh, New York, San Diego, Chicago, Atlanta and Austin. Remote applicants are encouraged to apply: we are building a culture of remote collaboration.
What we offer
- Work with a team of quirky, passionate builders creating next generation tools for media and digital literacy while promoting openness on the Web.
- Contribute to a highly visible open source project.
- Competitive compensation and benefits.
How to apply
If you want to apply or ask questions before applying, please contact us at email@example.com.
We look forward to hearing from you!
We are looking for an experienced designer who works well in multidisciplinary teams building web services for humans. A successful candidate will have a good understanding of the technologies of the web, a level head for graphic and UI design, and the ability to collaborate remotely on difficult design challenges with a diverse team of engineers, programs staff and product managers.
- Work with a skilled multidisciplinary team to design and deliver a user-focused product.
- Design products and services that reflect current best practice on the web, while having the courage to strike out in a new direction when new paradigms are called for.
- Ensure a clear and consistent experience across our product and web services, with the full support of your colleagues.
- Demonstrate skill at communicating design ideas. Create, improve, and use wireframes, prototypes, style guides, and user flows through a variety of media: sketches, hand-coded HTML/CSS, and behavioral prototypes.
- Build effective working relationships with colleagues and external partners.
- Act in a design leadership and mentoring role (with the full support of your colleagues) for other designers as we grow our team.
- Possess and encourage a proactive, creative and inquisitive approach to solving the difficult design problems faced by the team.
- Five or more years of experience and a track record of design for web applications.
- A strong portfolio with work samples (it also helps if you can show us sketches, prototypes, storyboards, user flows, wireframes etc)
- Experience partnering with Product Managers, early in the feature conception process, to develop the strategy and rationale for features.
- Understanding of design patterns, interaction design principles and up-to-date knowledge of industry practices for both web and mobile.
- Experience working with a product team with an agile development process.
- Experience working in diverse and geographically remote teams.