1 Matching Annotations
- Oct 2017
Military Industrial Complex:
- Eisenhower has seen the consequences of this intersection of military power and his own "new look" policy
Presidential speeches can be measured by how long we talk about them. Still one of the most referenced presidential speeches ever given.
IRAN — Mohammed Mossafegh (1951–1954)
- First military Coup during CIA golden age
- US tells Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi (1941–1979) that they will take over the country unless he overthrows Mossafegh.
- For 20+ years we supported a dictator who murdered his own people
- Any nation state has the option to buy out foreign companies
Guatemala — Jacobo Arbenz Guzman (1951–1954)
- Democratically elected leader, called for Progressive Reform (second President to do so)
- Nationalizing land (US decided it looked like Communism)
- Guzman runs into problems with the United Fruit Company, who had been cheating on their taxes, undervaluing their land prices. Government seeks to purchase land to nationalize it, and wants to buy it for the price that the UFC valued their land for.
- UFC and US Government set up a military Coup. Using radio broadcast propaganda, pretending that an army is ravaging the countryside. Guzman believes the propaganda and flees. We set up a dictator.