- Nov 2023
for: regenerative cities, living cities, urban permaculture, Pocket hoods, relocalization, Mark Lakeman, Portland villages, people-oriented city-villages, city-village, pocket neighborhood, communititecture, urban planning, urban planning - city villages
- Mark gives a tour of his work at his company, Communittecture in applying permaculture principles to redesign communities in urban environments.
- The central focus is designing based on commons principles of actually creating lived environments where healthy socialization is a primary design objective.
- The design involves creating common areas that residents can share, from common food gardens to many mini-parks and recreation areas where families can gather.
- The modern community has alienated socialization, creating groups of juxtapositioned strangers. There are two different design categories:
- retrofitting existing neighborhoods
- designing greenfield new neighborhoods
- Communititecture home page
- urban permaculture
- urban planning - regenerative
- living cities
- Pocket hoods
- Mark Lakeman
- urban planning - city villages
- people-oriented city-villages
- pocket neighborhood
- regenerative cities
- Sep 2018
Abstractijur_891 957..973Informal housing and industrial developments in the so-called urban villages have beenkey features of the recent Chinese urbanization. In this article we will examine thedevelopment of urban villages in one of the most dynamic Chinese cities — Shenzhen.The article first reviews the urbanization and migration process in the region and theemergence of urban villages. It then examines informal housing, commercial andindustrial developments in these villages. We analyse the politics of village urbanizationand highlight the important relationship between migration and informal villagedevelopment. We emphasize the contribution made by urban villages in providingaffordable housing and jobs for the low-income population during the rapidurbanization and urge cautious consideration with regard to hasty and large-scaleredevelopment of these villages. We conclude that the development of urban villages isa very important part of the urbanization process.