2 Matching Annotations
- Aug 2023
- summary: The author makes the claim that state capture lay at the root of our polycrisis. Effectively addressing state capture is a leverage point for rapid whole system change,
- for: state capture, leverage point, rapid whole system change, saving humanity, lobbying
- title: Saving humanity: here’s a radical approach to building a sustainable and just society
- author: Mark Diesendorf
- date: May 18, 2023
- source: https://theconversation.com/saving-humanity-heres-a-radical-approach-to-building-a-sustainable-and-just-society-205566
- reference: book
- The path to a Sustainable Civilization
- leverage point
- rapid whole system change
- polycrisis - root cause
- saving humanity
- The Path to a Sustainable Civilization
- Mark Diesendorf
- state capture
- Jul 2022
An important aspect missing in typical flow models is that in order to produce enduringcommitment a goal should correspond to something truly valuable. For example, while the goal ofshooting a maximum number of spaceships in your game of Space Invaders may be clear, it doesnot satisfy any real needs. Therefore, playing games, however enjoyable at the time, if continuedlong enough will eventually leave you with the feeling of having wasted your time. One way gamedesigners try to overcome this limitation is by creating a sense of “epic meaning” (McGonigal,2011), i.e. situating the game action in a narrative context which implies that something truly greator valuable is being achieved (like saving the world from alien invaders).
The epic meaning of "Bend the Curve" is saving civilization, co-creating a future worth living in the next few years, averting disaster.
On a personal level the transformation of the individual also conveys epic meaning.