- Dec 2023
- Nov 2023
the curse of the climate crisis is that relative to covet and relative to the war moves in slower motion yes and that's a challenge
- if we have to wait until planetary tipping points are triggered, it will be too late. There has to be some other less catastrophic event that happens before that. Perhaps some combination of extreme weather events
- We need to trigger sufficiently large social tipping points before planetary tipping points are breached.
- Sep 2023
- for: system change, polycrisis, extreme weather, planetary tipping points, climate disruption, climate chaos, tipping point, hothouse earth, new meme, deep transformation
- title: The Great Disruption has Begun
- author: Paul Gilding
- date: Sept 3, 2023
- source: https://www.paulgilding.com/cockatoo-chronicles/the-great-disruption-has-begun
- good q uick opening paragraphs that summarize the plethora of extreme events in 2023 up to Sept 2023 (but misses the Canadian Wildfires) and also the list of potential planetary tipping points that are giving indication of being at the threshold.
- He makes a good point about the conservative nature of science that underestimates impacts due to the inertia of scientific study.
- Coins a good meme
- Everything, everywhere, all at once
- He ties all the various crisis together to show the many components of the wicked problem we face
- finally what it comes down to is that we cannot stop the coming unprecedented changes but we can and must slow it down as much as possible and we should be prepared for a wild ride
- It would be a good educational tool for deep and transformative climate education to map all these elements of the polycrisis and show their feedbacks and interactions, especially how it relates to socio-economic impacts to motivate transformative change and mobilize the urgency now required.
- deep transformation
- planetary tipping points
- hothouse earth
- climate chaos
- system change
- tipping points
- new meme
- climate disruption
- climate change education
- extreme weather
- Aug 2023
- for: Canadian forest fires, tipping point, forest fire graph, graph - forest fires - Canada,
- graph that shows the unprecedented forest fires turning forests from carbon sink to carbon source
- Jul 2023
the Breakthrough here is that for the first time we've been able to put temperature thresholds on the 00:08:44 likely temperatures when we cross the Tipping points that's the color schemes you see in the color coding these five are the ones we really need to be concerned with because they are the first ones on the line at 1.5 degrees 00:08:58 Celsius they're likely to cross their tipping points we're talking here about the green and ice sheet the West Antarctic ice sheet all the tropical coral reef systems home to over 500 million people's livelihood 00:09:11 the Boreal permafrost a breath throwing a permafrost and loss of the barren sea ice
- for tipping point, planetary tipping point
- likely temperature thresholds for breaching planetary tipping points at 1.5 Deg C
- Greenland Ice sheet
- West Antarctica ice sheet
- tropical coral reef system
- boreal permafrost
- Berent sea ice
- Oct 2022
We have left it too late to tackle climate change incrementally. It now requires transformational change, and a dramatic acceleration of progress.
!- slogan : from climate change to system change
- Jun 2022
Those communities that reject business as usual and cut their energy spending and all the materialist values that go with it, just might survive the long emergency and write a different ending to this story.
Unfortunately, our fates are collectively tied so we must collectively do this at scale to prevent tipping points. The motto of the Tipping Point Festival: Reach Social tipping points before planetary ones are breached.