2 Matching Annotations
- Apr 2020
At Brown’s sentencing, Judge Lindsay was quoted as saying “What took place is not going to chill any 1st Amendment expression by Journalists.” But he was so wrong. Brown’s arrest and prosecution had a substantial chilling effect on journalism. Some journalists have simply stopped reporting on hacks from fear of retribution and others who still do are forced to employ extraordinary measures to protect themselves from prosecution.
I could have released this data anonymously like everyone else does but why should I have to? I clearly have no criminal intent here. It is beyond all reason that any researcher, student, or journalist have to be afraid of law enforcement agencies that are supposed to be protecting us instead of trying to find ways to use the laws against us.
- researcher rights
- good intentions
- intent to commit/facilitate a crime
- don't turn innocent people into criminals (through bad laws)
- laws/law enforcement agencies are supposed to be protecting us
- fear of prosecution/legal harassment
- chilling effect
- freedom of speech
- a government for the people?
- journalist rights