4 Matching Annotations
- May 2020
- Jun 2019
Simply put, a digital footprint is the record or trail left by the things you do online. Your social media activity, the info on your personal website, your browsing history, your online subscriptions, any photo galleries and videos you’ve uploaded — essentially, anything on the Internet with your name on it.
- Nov 2017
Our energy calculations show that by 2015, wireless cloud will consume up to 43 TWh, compared to only 9.2 TWh in 2012, an increase of 460%. This is an increase in carbon footprint from 6 megatonnes of CO2 in 2012 to up to 30 megatonnes of CO2 in 2015, the equivalent of adding 4.9 million cars to the roads. Up to 90% of this consumption is attributable to wireless access network technologies, data centres account for only 9%.
Wow, these numbers. More than 90% in transmission? This makes CDNs and other web performance optimisation techniques much more relevant, than I first thought.
- Oct 2017
There are further projects we might undertake, i
To do list going forward as suggested by Bethany Nowviskie.
- more effective communication
- foster collaborations
- find nobility in metadata enhancement, project maintenance & forward migration
- more agendas of empathy
- greater attention to matters of accessibility, minimal c computing (not sure what this is exactly!!)
- Libraries - need robust discourse around ephemerality. ( this is the concept of things being transitory, existing only briefly.)
- attend to the environmental & human cost of DH : CARBON FOOTPRINT , PRICE TAG
- bring technological savvy & deep historical conscience into the politics of 21st century.
- Amplify our voices