- Jul 2023
- The landscape of biomedical research
- Rita González-Márquez,
- Luca Schmidt,
- Benjamin M. Schmidt,
- Philipp Berens
- Dmitry Kobak
- April 11, 2023
- The number of publications in biomedicine and life sciences
- has rapidly grown over the last decades,
- with over 1.5 million papers now published every year.
- This makes it difficult to
- keep track of new scientific works and
- to have an overview of the evolution of the field as a whole.
- Here we
- present a 2D atlas of the entire corpus of biomedical literature, and
- argue that it provides
- a unique and
- useful overview
- of the life sciences research.
- We base our atlas on the abstract texts of
- 21 million English articles from the PubMed database.
- To embed the abstracts into 2D, we use
- a large language model PubMedBERT, combined with
- t-SNE tailored to handle samples of our size.
- We use our atlas to study
- the emergence of the Covid-19 literature,
- the evolution of the neuroscience discipline,
- the uptake of machine learning, and
- the distribution of gender imbalance in academic authorship.
- Furthermore, we present an interactive web version of our atlas that
- allows easy exploration and
- will enable further insights and facilitate future research.
- Aug 2022
COVID-19 vaccine tracker and landscape. (2022, April 22). https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/draft-landscape-of-covid-19-candidate-vaccines
- Oct 2020
Proposing a PSA-affiliated paid translation service with a first focus on Africa. (2020, October 14). https://corelab.blog/psatranslation/
- Sep 2020
Postdocs in crisis: Science cannot risk losing the next generation. (2020). Nature, 585(7824), 160–160. https://doi.org/10.1038/d41586-020-02541-9
r/BehSciResearch—Inertia in academic priorities. (n.d.). Reddit. Retrieved June 16, 2020, from https://www.reddit.com/r/BehSciResearch/comments/h9cilq/inertia_in_academic_priorities/
- Aug 2020
Preprint Servers Have Changed Research Culture in Many Fields. Will a New One for Education Catch On? - EdSurge News. (2020, August 20). EdSurge. https://www.edsurge.com/news/2020-08-20-preprint-servers-have-changed-research-culture-in-many-fields-will-a-new-one-for-education-catch-on
- open science
- scientific practice
- research landscape
Open Scholarship Knowledge Base. (n.d.). OER Commons. Retrieved August 19, 2020, from https://www.oercommons.org/hubs/OSKB
- Jul 2020
Perrott, D. (2020, May 22). Exploring the Valley’s of the Applied Behavioural Science Landscape. Medium. https://medium.com/@DavePerrott/exploring-the-valleys-of-the-applied-behavioural-science-landscape-a8b8ed53e58a
- applied behavioral science
- research landscape