25 Matching Annotations
  1. Aug 2022
  2. Feb 2022
  3. Dec 2021
    1. shinydoc. (2021, December 12). I love how I, an actual GP...who was involved in the initial covid vaccination programme ...has to tune in at 8pm with the public to find out that apparently we are vaccinating the entire adult population with boosters by the end of the year [Tweet]. @irishayesha. https://twitter.com/irishayesha/status/1470123478221303810

  4. Nov 2021
    1. Similarly, the Date Time column is very useful, but not in this string form. Start by converting it to seconds:
      timestamp_s = date_time.map(pd.Timestamp.timestamp)

      and then create "Time of day" and "Time of year" signals:

      day = 24*60*60
      year = (365.2425)*day
      df['Day sin'] = np.sin(timestamp_s * (2 * np.pi / day))
      df['Day cos'] = np.cos(timestamp_s * (2 * np.pi / day))
      df['Year sin'] = np.sin(timestamp_s * (2 * np.pi / year))
      df['Year cos'] = np.cos(timestamp_s * (2 * np.pi / year))
    2. The last column of the data, wd (deg)—gives the wind direction in units of degrees. Angles do not make good model inputs: 360° and 0° should be close to each other and wrap around smoothly. Direction shouldn't matter if the wind is not blowing.

      transform WD and WS into (u, v)

    3. df.describe().transpose()
  5. Aug 2021
    1. Starting with data ingest and tidying is sub-optimal because 80% of the time it’s routine and boring, and the other 20% of the time it’s weird and frustrating. That’s a bad place to start learning a new subject! Instead, we’ll start with visualisation and transformation of data that’s already been imported and tidied. That way, when you ingest and tidy your own data, your motivation will stay high because you know the pain is worth it.
  6. Jul 2021
  7. Jun 2021
  8. Apr 2021
  9. Feb 2021
  10. Oct 2020
  11. Aug 2020
  12. Jul 2020
  13. May 2020
  14. Jan 2018
  15. doc-0s-c0-docs.googleusercontent.com doc-0s-c0-docs.googleusercontent.com
    1. If US legislators and net neutrality advocates really want to protect the rights of internet users, they should call for the removal of barriers to entry for up-and-coming ISP

      Making the internet more fair for all ISP's and allowing for competition for bigger ISP's, plus protecting the rights of the users by allowing them a free/open internet.

    2. consumers would simply choose ISPs that allowed them to access the entire internet or at least the websites that they wished to see. Individual consumers would still decide what they access on the internet and how

      It would be similar to cable plans where you choose which plan lets you see the channels you want (or the websites in this case).

    3. The only reason it has accrued the economic power to do so in the first place is because it has provided a valuable service or product that has proven popular w ith consumers over the long-term.

      This could turn the higher up and more popular ISP's into almost a monopoly for the internet. The internet has become an important resource to the people of this day and age and it not being free would not help the smaller companies.

    4. a ‘fast lane, slow lane’ internet would emerge where internet users would eschew websites unable to pay for priority service in favour of those that are.

      Continues to describe how the internet service wouldn't be fair to smaller sites, in turn making them way slower, and causing people not to go to them due to the lack of browsing speed.

    5. bloggers, niche news sources and small websites generally—will be priced out of the market for priority service and consigned to a much poorer internet experience.

      Taking away net neutrality will make it way harder for small business and "niche news sources" to be able to run their sites and they will be way slower due to high costs to run them.

    6. sor Timothy Wu in 2003, is that every byte of data on the i

      Saying that while everything on the internet is different yet they should be treated with the same respect.